Your driving licence is a permit to drive legally on Indian roads. The whole process of getting this legal permit is quite easy, but you have to follow the rules behind it.
There is a certain procedure laid out by the government that you need to follow to get a permanent driving licence. But even before that, you need to first check if you are even eligible to apply for one.
An applicant is required to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for applying for a permanent driving licence in India:
- Must be 18 years of age or above.
- Must be an Indian citizen.
- Should be aware of traffic rules and regulations.
- Should know how to drive the vehicle he wishes to obtain a driving permit for.
- Must have a learner’s licence, which was issued at least 30 days and not more than 180 days before.
- Should have proper documents and relevant proofs to submit with the application.
Once you are certain that you satisfy the required criteria, the next step is to ensure having proper documents to submit with your application. Following are the documents required for a driver's licence request:
- Age Proof (Birth certificate, Aadhaar card, Passport, PAN card, Class X Marksheet)
- Address Proof (Passport, Aadhaar, Voter ID, Electricity Bill, Rent agreement with LPG or electricity bill)
- Driving License Application Form (Available online on your state’s RTO portal, or can be attained from your nearby RTO authority)
- 6 Passport sized photographs
- Application Fees
- Medical certificate (for applicants over the age of 40)
Before you start getting ready for your driving test, go through the list of requirements you need to fulfill so as to not get turned down.