RTO vehicle fitness certificate is a crucial part of the commercial vehicle's RTO vehicle information. Check out how you can apply online and other crucial details.
Regional Transport Office (RTO) issues Vehicle Fitness Certificate to vehicles that are used for commercial purposes. However, private vehicles including cars and bikes that are not used commercially do not require a fitness certificate. But private vehicles do need a roadworthiness certificate.
Earlier, you could apply for a Fitness Certificate only by visiting the RTO of your city. But thanks to the digitization of RTOs all over the India, now you can completed the process partially online. You can now apply online for a fitness certificate and later visit the RTO with your vehicle for the inspection process.
What Is A Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
A vehicle fitness certificate is required to make sure passengers or goods are transported in a safe and secure manner. To get a this certificate, the vehicle needs to be fit in all the aspects to run on Indian roads. Regional Transport Office (RTO) inspects inspects the vehicle thoroughly before issuing the vehicle fitness certificate. This document is crucial part of the RTO vehicle information because vehicle Registration Certificate (RC) is considered invalid in the absence of a valid vehicle fitness certificate.
Why Do You Need a Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
Commercial vehicles need to have a fitness certificate to make sure that they are properly screened by the RTO for any mechanical glitches, technical faults, emission levels, and all-round working condition. It also helps in identifying vehicles that are making more pollution than the permissible limits.
Technically and mechanically fit commercial vehicles can help in increasing the road safety and avoiding breakdowns in the middle of the road. You can also ask for vehicle fitness certificate of a commercial vehicle to make sure that you are travelling in a safe and verified vehicle.
How To Apply For RTO Vehicle Fitness Certificate Online:
You can now apply online for a vehicle fitness certificate to kickstart the process officially. After submitting the online application, you need to visit your nearest RTO with your vehicle to get the fitness certificate.
Here is the step-by-step guide:
Log in to the official website of the Government of India’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Parivahan Sewa from your computer or smartphone.
Click on “Online Services” > “Vehicle Related Services”
Now, click on the state where you live. If you have selected Delhi & Sikkim State then the website will redirect you here here. And if you have selected any other state then you will be redirected here.
Now create your account and enter your RTO vehicle registration information.
Now, select Application for Fitness Certificate > Enter Chassis number > Enter Mobile Number > Click Generate OTP.
You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter that OTP and click on "Show Details". Cross check all the details of your vehicle and click on the "Payment" and "Confirm Payment" buttons. Afterwards, select your preferred payment gateway to make the online payment.
Note down the application number to go to your nearest RTO to get all the details including date, time, venue for the inspection of your vehicle. Visit the RTO on the scheduled date and time for the vehicle inspection.
If there are technical faults or defects found in the vehicle then RTO inspector will suggest you to get the required repairs done. The vehicle fitness certificate will not issues until you fix the existing issue. However, RTO inspector will grant the fitness certificate at the spot if no issues are found with your vehicle.
What is the cost for Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
RTO vehicle fitness certificate fees structure depends majorly on the vehicle type. The fees is paid for the fitness certificate while making an online application. The fees is charged for processing and issuing of a vehicle fitness certificate.
Here is the cost vehicle fitness certificate:
- Medium or Heavy motor vehicle - Manual: Rs. 600, Automated: Rs. 1000
- Three-wheeled or quadricycle or light motor vehicle - Manual: Rs. 400, Automated: Rs. 600
- Bike - Manual: Rs. 200. Automated: Rs. 4002
- Grant or renewal of letter of authority - Rs. 150003
- Grant or renewal of a certificate of fitness for motor vehicle- Rs. 200 additional fees.
- An appeal under rule 70 - Rs. 3000
- Issue of duplicate letter of authority - Rs. 75006
- Any application not covered under entries at Serial Nos. 1 to 14 above - Rs. 200
How to Renew Vehicle Fitness Certificate Online?
You should expedite renewal process of your vehicle fitness certificate at least a few days before its expiry date to eliminate last-minute troubles. Having some extra time can help in case the process takes more than expected time.
Here is how the process to renew vehicle fitness certificate works:
You need to fill up the application form either by downloading it from the RTO official website or by visiting the RTO office. Fill up the form completely and also keep these documents handy:
- Registration Certificate (RC)
- Vehicle insurance papers
- Tax token
- P.U.C.C (Pollution Under Control Certificate)
- Permit of the vehicle
Form and copies of all the above documents will be submitted by the RTO officer along with the required fees. The details will be then forwarded to the motor vehicles department.
You need to visit the location on the schedules time and date with your vehicle for inspection by the RTO. After the inspection is completed, a detailed report is prepared and submitted to the concerned authorities who upload it on VAHAN website to process further. The system also verifies dates of inspection and the fees paid. If any discrepancy is found, you will be notified about the changes in the fees amount.
After the successful completion of the process, RTO authorities will fill up and sign the vehicle fitness certificate. In case of renewals, RTO fitness form 38 is attached that authorizes the issuance of fitness certificate. In the end, laminated copy of the vehicle fitness certificate is sent at your registered address.
Documents and Forms Required for a vehicle fitness certificate
Being the owner of a commercial vehicle, you are liable to submit a set of documents and duly filled forms to apply for a new vehicle fitness certificate or renew the existing one.
Here is the list of documents and RTO fitness forms required to apply for a vehicle fitness certificate.
- Application in Form-CFA for a new Fitness Certificate
- Application in Form-CFRA for the renewal of Fitness Certificate
- A valid Insurance Policy
- Registration Certificate
- Valid Emission Certificate
- Fitment of Speed Control Device if applicable
- Valid Tax Details
- Fare meter calibration certificate for Auto rickshaw
- Roadworthiness certificate if applicable
How to Download RTO Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
You can easily download vehicle fitness certificate from the VAHAN website. You can avail this service from anywhere and at any point in time. Here is the step-by-step guide:
- Log on to the official VAHAN website, enter your vehicle registration number and click on "Proceed"
- Now, click on “Online Services” and select the “Duplicate Fitness Certificate” option from the drop-down menu
- Enter the chassis and registration number of your vehicle. Afterwards, enter your registered mobile number to generate OTP and fill up the OTP in the given box. Now, click on "Show Details"
- Full up all the requisite details in the form and click on Payment > Confirm Payment
- Now, enter your payment details, read all the terms and conditions carefully and click on “I accept terms and conditions” checkbox. Click on the “Continue” button to generate your Application letter. Once the letter is generated, you can also take a printout of the document
- After application is filled successfully, the duplicate vehicle fitness certificate is sent by the RTO at your registered address
How To Check Validity Of Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
A valid fitness certificate reflects that the vehicle is completely fit to ply on Indian roads. Let us find out the meaning of validity and eligibility of a vehicle fitness certificate.
The age of your vehicle plays a big role in deciding the validity of a vehicle fitness certificate. A fitness certificate is valid for a period of two years for vehicles that are not older than eight years. However, if the vehicle is older than eight years, then a fitness certificate is valid for only one year.
You can renew the fitness certificate 30 days before its expiry date.
If you are a commercial vehicle owner then it is mandatory for you to have vehicle fitness certificate to play your vehicle legally on Indian roads.